Back to list

Notice to Vacate

Received a “Notice to Vacate” your rented property?

By law a Notice to Vacate must be delivered in person to the tenant or sent by registered mail.

The required notice periods vary from immediate (for dangerous or damaged properties) to up to 120 days depending on the reason for the notice.  Click here for full details.

For Rental Arrears:

If you are 14 days or more behind on rent a ‘NOTICE TO VACATE’ for overdue rent (also called arrears) is the first step in the legal process of eviction. The notice must give you at least 14 days to vacate the property.

If you don’t wish to leave:


  1. Ask if your landlord will cancel the legal process if you can catch up with your rent arrears with an arrangement.
  2. Suggest a certain date to pay in full and do so.
  3. Prepare a budget showing how you can afford the rent for future months.

You may be eligible for Centrelink Advance to cover a rental shortfall. A local Housing Agency may also be able to assist with your rent arrears payment. Contact MoneyHelp on 1800 007 007

Contact Tenants Union of Victoria on (03) 9416 2577 for advice on eviction, or any Notice To Vacate. Some notices can be contested at VCAT - the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

To Contest a Notice to Vacate

You will need to lodge an objection to the notice with VCAT, attend a hearing and explain your objection. Even if you dont object to the Notice and arrears you can also attend VCAT and nominate a payment solution at the hearing. This may result in the referee not granting a Warrant of Possession to the landlord.

VCAT may also extend your time to vacate the property. A Warrant of Possession is granted to the landlord if VCAT decides you must vacate.


Only the Police, not a landlord or agent, can physically evict a tenant from a property and only after a Warrant of Possession is issued by VCAT. A landlord or agent can’t change the locks unless a Warrant of Possession has been granted.

Key Contacts

Tenants Union Victoria
Phone: (03) 9416 2577

Related Issues

Support from real people

Call us on
1800 639 523
for urgent help