Back to list

Utilities Disconnection Notice

If you haven’t paid bills, and haven’t contacted your provider to discuss options, they can disconnect your power or gas, and restrict your water usage.

If you receive a disconnection notice, you need to act quickly to stay connected. Here are your options:

Immediate Actions you can take

  • Contact your service provider to seek HARDSHIP ASSISTANCE.

    Contact your service provider to seek HARDSHIP ASSISTANCE and ask for the hardship section. For example, they may be able to reduce the bill, give more time to pay, defer payment for a period of time, or accept part payments to help you manage. In some cases they may want to see evidence of your situation, however you can choose to withhold private information you are not comfortable in sharing.

  • If your service provider does not grant you any hardship assistance?

    If your service provider does not grant you any hardship assistance, or insists on a payment plan that is not affordable, you can lodge a complaint with an Ombudsman, (EWOV in Victoria). Your utilities can’t be disconnected while your case is under review.

  • Check you are being billed at concession rates if you have a Health Care Card
  • Are you eligible for a Utility Relief Grant?

    Healthcare card holders may be eligible for a Utility Relief Grant, which can pay up to $500 each toward gas, electricity or water bills, subject to certain criteria available at this website

  • Centrelink recipients should apply for the energy supplement if you are not already receiving it.
  • Centrelink recipients may also be eligible for a Centrelink advance  up to $1000.
  • Contact a community agency for an Emergency Relief Voucher.

    This is usually for food, clothing and petrol but can free up your income so you can make a bill payment. Some agencies can provide assistance with a Telstra bill for people in hardship. Click here for ER Victoria website ( Emergency relief)


  • If utilities are disconnected, there may be additional costs for reconnection.

    This can be negotiated and waived if you are in a hardship situation.

  • Beware of the high cost of short term loans.

    e.g. payday loans or pawnbroker advances, or paying on credit card if you already can’t afford your credit card bills. Look here for affordable finance options

Key Contacts

EWOV ( Victoria’s Ombudsman for Energy and Water issues)
Phone: 1800 500 509

Related Issues

Support from real people

Call us on
1800 639 523
for urgent help