Back to list

Urgent Financial Assistance

State and Commonwealth government organisations have a range of special income assistance benefits available which may assist you with urgent short term help depending on your specific circumstances.

Centrelink: Call 136 150

  • Advance Lump Sum $1000 – check how much your benefit would reduce each fortnight to see if you can manage it.
  • Special advance payments – in extreme circumstances you can get an early Centrelink payment rather than having to meet the waiting period.
  • Special benefits – if you are in extreme financial hardship and don’t qualify for other Centrelink benefits you may be eligible for a special benefit.
  • Crisis Payment – a one off payment for hardship in limited extreme circumstances.
  • Pension loan scheme – available to pensioners who need more income to live on but their assets are tied up.

DHHS Victoria. Call 1300 650 172

  • Utility Relief Grant – up to $500 per Gas, Electricity and Water bill if you meet the criteria.
  • Bond Assistance Loans – for bond assistance to get into a rental property (this is income tested).
  • Mortgage Relief Scheme (Victorian Government) – an interest free home loan assistance.